What is Delegation?

One of the most effective ways to make more time for important management
activities is to delegate jobs to your employees. Delegation does not mean:

• Dumping unpleasant work on others
• Assigning work to employees and then abandoning them
• Assigning work to employees and then hovering over them
every step
of the way
Delegation is entrusting work to employees and giving them the right to make
some decisions for you.
Unfortunately, managers often refuse to delegate. Put a check mark next to the
statements below that reflect reasons you may resist delegation:
  •  I can do this faster (better) than my employees; after all,
that’s why I’m the boss.
  •  I don’t have time (money) to train employees to do this.
  •  If my employees mess up, I’ll get blamed.
  •  If my employees do well, they’ll get the credit.
  •  My employees don’t have time to take on new responsibilities.
  •  If I keep doing this task, I’ll have an excuse for not having time to learn
that new computer; boy, I’m dreading that.
  •  I know my employees could handle this, but I enjoy doing it.
  •  If I show someone how to do this, I won’t be needed anymore.

No comments: