How to lead a team

Are you and your property ready for teams?

You’ve learned that thousands of organizations have work teams. Managers at most
of those organizations would tell you that using a team approach sometimes means
changing the way you work with employees and with your boss.
Many hospitality properties turn to teams to solve problems like the ones
described in the case study at right. If you can identify with the manager in the
case study, consider two questions to prepare yourself for working with your
employees as a team:
• Are you ready to lead a team?
• Is management open to a team approach?


Hospitality managers who work with teams identified the traits below as important
for team leaders. Put a check mark next to the traits you feel you have. The more
you check, the better prepared you are to lead a team.
  •  I am flexible and willing to listen to new ideas.
  •  I am able to work with a group in finding solutions to problems.
  •  I know how to help individual employees make contributions to the group.
  •  I can accept team decisions.
  •  I try to handle conflict to everyone’s advantage.
  •  I listen responsively to what other people say.
  •  I recognize the advantages of a diverse work force.
  •  I ask questions and offer alternatives to employees faced with a problem.
  •  I know how to set deadlines for solving problems.
  •  I expect measurable results when solving problems.
  •  I know how to monitor a team’s progress.
  •  I understand the importance of management/union support for teams.
  • Ask yourself if you have most of these traits and attitudes or are willing to develop themto become an effective team manager.

No comments: